The holidays are closing in. To keep up your energy with all the traveling, shopping, and holiday-partying, it’s nice to have a delicious special treat with the much needed addition of massive amounts of caffeine. The specialty drinks have already popped up at the coffee shops around the Twin Cities, but you can skip the line and the expense and create your own tasty confection at home.
Candy Cane Mocha
This first drink recipe is bound to delight all your senses with a simple festive twist on a classic mocha.
- Your favorite cocoa mix
- Your preferred coffee brand
- Peppermint extract
- Cream, milk, or milk alternative
- 2 dark chocolate squares (for richer chocolate flavor)
- Peppermint candy canes (to crush on top of drink)
- Whip cream (for topping)
Make an 8 oz. cup of coffee and mix in your cocoa powder. You can add a dash of cream or milk for a creamier flavor. For the chocoholics and for more richness, melt the chocolate and add it to the mixture. Add peppermint extract to taste and blend or stir the entire mixture together. For the final touch, add whip cream on top and crush the peppermint candy canes and sprinkle them over your drink. Enjoy.
Mocha Protein Coffee
Upgrade your standard mocha with this healthy delicious version containing plenty of caffeine and protein to keep you going through that seventh round of family charades.
- 1 scoop of your preferred coffee
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder or a single 2X2 inch square of dark chocolate
- 5-7 drops of liquid Stevia
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil (the preferred brand I use is Brain Octane MCT coconut oil from Bulletproof Coffee which keeps your brain healthy and promotes fat-burning.)
- 2 scoops or 22 grams of protein powder (I use Bulletproof Collagen protein which tastes great and mixes well, but certainly experiment with your own preferred brand.)
Optional for an additional health boost:
- 1 tbsp organic ghee (a healthy fat to keep you full for longer, adds flavor, and creamier texture.)
- ⅛ tsp Lucuma powder (a flavorful sweetener that contains a plethora of minerals and vitamins, especially rich in carotene and niacin.)
- ⅛ tsp chaga mushroom powder (great for the immune system and high in vitamin D.)
- ⅛ tsp astragalus root powder (no, not from a Harry Potter potions class, but a root that’s been studied for its longevity properties.)
- 1 tsp Dandy Blend (an herbal powder blend with full coffee flavor without the caffeine, contains dandelion root which helps detoxify.)
Make your coffee by mixing one scoop with 1 and a half cups of hot water. While your coffee is being made, melt the chocolate. Add your coffee, melted chocolate, and the rest of the ingredients to the blender. Blend until smooth. Pour and drink up!
Alternative Mocha Protein Coffee
The alternative is simple. Use all the same ingredients and directions as the above recipe, but without the coffee. Instead of coffee, use 1 heaping tsp of Dandy Blend to make the drink non-caffeinated while still retaining the delicious coffee taste.
Tea and Chocolate
An unexpected but delectable pairing, this chocolate and green tea powerhouse is a great drink for the tea lovers.
- 1 cup of hot green tea
- Single 2X2 inch square of dark chocolate
- Liquid Stevia to taste (start with 3 drops)
- 1 cup of milk, cashew milk, or almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (again the brand I use is Brain Octane MCT coconut oil from Bulletproof Coffee)
- ⅛ tsp chaga mushroom powder
- ⅛ tsp astragalus root powder
- 1 tsp Dandy Blend
Make 1 cup of hot green tea. Melt chocolate. You can also melt the chocolate by placing it in the hot tea. Once you’ve made the tea and melted the chocolate, put both in the blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth, pour, and enjoy!
Spiced Café au Lait
It will taste like the holidays in a cup with this warm, spiced drink.
- 8 oz. of hot milk or milk alternative
- 8 oz. of coffee or 1 heaping tsp of Dandy Blend for a caffeine free version
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Tiny pinch of sea salt (will bring out the flavors)
- Liquid Stevia (sweetened to taste)
- Single 2X2 inch square of dark chocolate
Make the coffee, or if you’re using Dandy Blend, just toss the powder into the blender. Heat milk and add all ingredients to the blender. Blend or stir until smooth. If you decide to add the dark chocolate be sure to melt it completely before blending it into the drink. Get cozy and enjoy.