Introducing the top restaurants in MPLS and STP
Minneapolis and St Paul have a lot to offer in the way of delicious food, but it is almost impossible to stay on top of where all the greatness is happening.
This is exactly why we have compiled this list of awesome establishments located right here in the cities.
Let’s get into it.
Tasty tapas inspired by Chef Hector Ruiz’s Mexican heritage and European training. The halibut with Truffle polenta is a must.
(612) 789-92962416 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418
Just when you think nothing new can be done in the “New American” category, Xavi comes along and changes the game. The short rib with braised artichokes and the beef tartare with fermented black bean emulsion are must-tries.
(612) 825-69005607 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55417
$$ – $$$
From Québécois truffle pate, to New Orleans beignets, to octopus from the Gulf Coast of Mexico, Saint Dinette showcases the best of North American food and culture inspired by the French.
(651) 800-1415261 5th Street E, St Paul, MN 55101
$ – $$
With a claim as the country’s first Kurdish restaurant, Babani’s rich flavors and warm spices satifsy in ways that few restaurants can.
(651) 602-996432 E Fillmore Ave, St Paul, MN 55107
$$ – $$$
Spoon & Stable
A place that is quintessentally Minnesotan, old school fine dining and still booking out every single night. Dorothy’s pot roast, Nico’s expert wine list, Rob Jones cocktails.
(612) 224-9850211 N 1st St, Minneapolis, MN 55401
Ariana Kabob & Gyro Bistro
The Spicy Gyro is ridiculous. The fries are the best I’ve had. Ever.
(952) 546-80007115 Cedar Lake Rd, St Louis Park, MN 55426
Been around since 1989 and still going strong. Awesome Vietnamese cuisine. You’ve never had spring rolls like these.
(612) 870-47392719 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55408
Unique taco flavors and salsa, as well as interesting decor and art, make Nico’s a special place in the heart of Uptown.
(612) 345-76882516 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55405
$$ – $$$
Bar la Grassa
James Beard-award winning Isaac Becker’s Bar la Grassa is the best Italian restaurant in Minnesota; the kind of experience that reminds why the Twin Cities are such a special place to dine.
(612) 333-3837800 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55401
Meritage remains as the Twin Cities’ pinnacle of French fine dining, offering a domestic trip to Paris for fresh-shucked oysters, absinthe, and seasonal dishes that always impress the palate.
(651) 222-5670410 St Peter St, St Paul, MN 55102
Enjoy the chef’s coursed dinner (5 courses, based on seasonal offerings) or go a la carte: You won’t be disappointed. Or give their homemade pastas, so thick and satisfying, a try.
(612) 823-00114537 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55419
What was already an excellent restaurant, featuring the best of local (and locally-sourced) flavors is now also an excellent grab-and-go cafe, and hotel as well because why not?
(612) 379-4909528 University Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
Shish Mediterranean Grill & Cafe
Counter-service Mediterranean fare with a killer dessert menu and drink options.
(651) 690-22121668 Grand Ave, St Paul, MN 55105
El Taco Riendo
Not much needs to be said except: enchiladas with green or molé sauce. You’ll thank us later.
(612) 781-30002412 Central Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55418
Across the lake with a patio in the back, expect classic french dishes with local MN ingredients and a fantastic wine list.
(952) 444-5200739 Lake St E, Wayzata, MN 55391
With a supper club feel, Red Rabbit is a rather new place opened by the Red Cow Company. It’s chill and no frill, but lots of great menu items, both food and drink.
(612) 767-8855201 Washington Ave N MPLS, MN 55401
One of the most consistant japanese restaurants in the TC. Great atmosphere. Classic dishes, including ramen, get royal treatment here.
(612) 332-6278330 E Hennepin Ave, Mpls, MN 55414
This place is all pork and bourbon. Extensive southern style food menu that serves all day.
(651) 340-7710203 6th St E, STP, MN 55101
Korean pancakes, breakfast nachos, and other breakfast classics with a twist from the mad mind of Eddie Wu.
(651) 756-17871124 Payne Ave, STP, MN 55130
Sea Salt Eatery
Everyone in Minnesota knows that winter is over when Sea Salt opens. Fresh seafood, Minnehaha Falls view, good beer selection, outdoor seating.
(612) 721-89904825 Minnehaha Ave, Mpls, MN 55417
Classic Italian-American fare the way momma would have wanted. Fried pizza as well. And the fantastic hospitality we’ve come to expect from Tim Niver.
(651) 330-2245786 Randolph Ave, Stp, MN 55102
Simply delicious Near East cuisine. The cheese pies alone are worth stopping in for.
(763) 781-22224301 Central Ave NE, Columbia Heights, MN 55421
Best new restaurant of the year. More talent per square foot than any other restaurant in the TC, guaranteed, with a small but powerful wine list as well.
(612) 822-82603804 Grand Ave S, Mpls, MN 55409
One of Minneapolis’ very best restaurants, Heyday quietly breaks barriers and pushes boundaries with both food and cocktails while balancing flavors from local, national, and international inspirations.
(612) 200-93692700 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55408
$ – $$
It’s the place Payne Avenue was missing for years. A neighborhood joint with a comforting staff and a cocktail list that is reminiscient of the big leagues. Great beers and classic fare.
(651) 348-8181858 Payne Ave, St Paul, MN 55130
This restaurant in Linden Hills reminds that Minnesotans can do interesting things with their Scandinavian heritage. The only thing more innovative than the menu might be the chic space in which it is housed.
(612) 920-34064312 S Upton Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55410
The grand dame of Grand Avenue has risen again, and is more beautiful than ever. It’s a modern-day supper club that can please just about anyone on any occasion. Yes, they still have the pot pie. But there’s much more to explore.
(651) 289-49901096 Grand Ave, St Paul, MN 55105
Best classic Neopolitan-style pizza, always enhanced by the “Punch Salad” on the side.
(651) 602-6068769 Grand Ave, Stp, MN 55105
Food for the industry: Simple and delicious plates of all sizes, open late, great wine selection.
(612) 343-7696112 N 3rd St, Mpls, MN 55401
Perhaps the best of Twin Cities fried chicken. Other Southern classics and smoked meats are worth a try as well.
(651) 340-2355525 Selby Ave., Stp, MN 55102
Good Day Cafe
The breakfast atmosphere is electric. Want to kick your day off on the right foot? This is your place.
(763) 544-02055410 Wayzata Blvd Golden Valley, MN 55416
Tongue in Cheek
Super fun and creative menu, including St. Paul’s most eclectic brunch, in a fun and art-filled space.
(651) 888-6148989 Payne Ave, Stp, Mn 55130
The Bachelor Farmer
James Beard award wining chef brings a local/sustainably-focused ingredients to Scandinavian dishes.
(612) 206-392050 N 2nd Ave., Mpls, MN 55401
A small, but incredibly special place. The ceviche and llapingachos con chorizo are stellar.
(612) 788-13282851 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418
There’s pizza, and then there’s Lola pizza. This shop is nationally recognized for their fun take on wood fire Neopolitan pizzas.
(612) 424-83345557 Xerxes Ave S, Mpls, MN 55410
A TC Institution that is more “farm to table” than any other local restaurant that claims to be.
(612) 825-15721432 W 31st St, Mpls, MN 55408
Sustainable and innovative sushi, tasty Japanese small plates, and Asian-American fusion (hot dogs with soba noodles and ginger?) can all found here. Look for a second location, opening in St. Paul’s Lowertown, at the end of the summer.
(612) 236-44293758 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55409
Joan’s in the Park
This quiet (and tiny) restaurant in St. Paul’s Highland Park has long been known as the go-to for some of the Twin Cities’ very best New American cuisine without any of the pretense that often accompanies it.
(651) 690-3297631 Snelling Ave S, St Paul, MN 55116
Hot pot-style dining at one location (St. Paul), some of the Twin Cities’ best classic Szechuan-style cooking at the other (Minneapolis). You can’t go wrong with either.
(651) 222-1333304 Oak Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
Wood-burning neighborhood bistro with pizzas and craft small plates that always hit the spot.
(612) 259-8943230 Cedar Lake Rd S. Minneapolis, MN 55405
This little hole in the wall in St. Paul’s Little Mekong neighborhood just might have the very best pho around. It’s a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it kind of place, but you’ll be so sad that you blinked.
(651) 222-6148500 University Ave W, St Paul, MN 55103
Blue Door Pub
Home of the Blucy. And if you have to get anything other than a burger, make sure it’s the deep-fried green beans.
(651) 493-18651811 Selby Ave. Saint Paul, MN 55104
Angus steaks with a whole roasted garlic, potatoes papallete…
(952) 404-1100635 East Lake Street, Wayzata, MN 55391
Catrina’s Cerveza and Grill
Excellent counter-service Mexican, with even more excellent service. Try the barbacoa!
(612) 788-12292510 Kenzie Terrace, St Anthony, MN 55418
Earth pizza, build-your-own, roasted olives, greek salad in the NE Minneapolis Arts District.
(612) 379-302896 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413
Stuffed pizza? Yes please. Give me some of that. Right away. Seriously. Don’t cause a scene.
(763) 420-922013724 83rd Way, Maple Grove, MN
That’s a wrap.
Think we missed something? Let us know at email@example.com.