We’ve heard it all before: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Sometimes, maybe more often than not, it becomes too time-consuming to make an actual well-balanced breakfast before leaving for work, school, the gym, etc. After all, breakfast can be accomplished with a granola bar and glass of orange juice just as efficiently, right? Half the time, I’m not even fully awake till I’m headed out the door, which means, “Oops, no breakfast for me.”
It’s unfortunate, because breakfast is my favorite meal. I just rarely feel like I have the time to make it.
We need breakfast.
But that’s something I’m looking to change. I’m sick of those awkward stomach growls, and that whiny attitude hunger hits me with right around 10am. For 2018, I’ve decided to compile a list of some of my favorite healthy, and quick, breakfast ideas to help you and me both fight that “tsk-tsk, ya skipped breakfast again,” consciousness.
Not your average toast:
This is an easy, and obvious choice. But spice it up like so:
- Peanut butter, ½ a banana, drizzle of honey, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and chia seeds
- A poached egg (or two), sprinkled with a little salt and pepper
- Avocado and sliced tomatoes, topped with salt and pepper
Another common choice. Two of my favorites:
- Frozen fruit of your choosing + spinach, Greek yogurt, almond milk, and chia seeds
- Banana, peanut butter, almond milk, protein powder, and oats
Pro tip: Make and store in your freezer the night before, so you can grab and go the morning of.
Yogurt so versatile:
- Berry parfait (layered yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and/or raspberries, granola)
- Vanilla yogurt, chia seeds, strawberries, sliced almonds, and dark chocolate chips
- Egg, cheese, peppers, tomatoes, hot sauce
- Sweet Potatoes, Egg whites, Black beans, avocado, peppers
- Egg whites, spinach, feta cheese, mushrooms,
Pro tip: Wrap these in foil and store in your fridge for a quick out-the-door option.
Muffins, sweet or savory:
- Egg muffins: Combine eggs, spinach, cheese, peppers and whatever else together. Fill muffin tin with paper liners, or spray pan. Cook at 375F for 15-18min. Store in your fridge for morning, or eat right away.
- Blueberry muffins with flax seed
- Zucchini, banana and dark chocolate chip muffins
- Ham and egg quinoa: Take cooked quinoa, eggs, veggies, cheese, and cook in muffin tin at 350F for 15-20min.
- Combine oats, chia seeds, blueberries, vanilla, and almond milk. Store in a sealed container overnight. In the AM, top with banana and go. Heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes if you like it warm.
- For a quick, gluten-free and GMO-free option to add, try local Minneapolis company Coco, Bee, & Nut granola (added bonus: 10% of sales go to charitable causes).
Add your own creative twist to any of the above options. Try some new ideas. Whatever you do, don’t let your mornings go hungry in 2018.