St. Patrick’s Day is coming up quick – I got the reminder when my drive home was rerouted around a mass of green-cladded runners racing through St. Paul for the O’Gara’s Irish Run. And granted while they do get a free drink at the end of the race, there are far easier and less exhausting ways to commence the St. Patty’s Day celebrations. So, not to worry: You can skip the whole running part and head straight to the drinking bit with these tasty cocktail recipes.
But before you break out the whiskey and Guinness, hit play on the video below to properly get in the mood for a memorable night because everyone is Irish on St. Patty’s:
Perfect for a good caffeine jolt to kick off the festivities or a warm nightcap to end the evening, this classic simple drink needs to be a part of your night.
- 1 ½ ounces of Irish whiskey
- 6 ounces of hot coffee
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Whip cream for topping
- Put the brown sugar in your mug.
- Pour in hot coffee which will help dissolve the sugar.
- Add in the whiskey and stir drink.
- Top with whip cream and garnish with more sugar if you like the extra sweetness.
This is the Irish twist on the ever-popular Moscow Mule. With just a simple swap of whiskey instead of vodka, it will be a proper Irish beverage.
- 2 ounces of Irish whiskey
- 6 ounces of ginger beer
- 1 ounce lime juice (about half a lime)
- Pour in whiskey and lime juice over ice.
- Top off with the ginger beer and stir. (Add more ginger beer for a sweeter drink!)
It’s not a St. Patrick’s Day celebration if you don’t consume something violently green that will also make it difficult to walk a straight line afterwards. Enjoy your green juice.
- ½ ounce gin
- ½ tequila
- ½ ounce rum
- 1 ounce Blue Curacao
- 4 ounces orange juice
- Fill tall glass with ice.
- Pour in gin, tequila, rum, and Blue Curacao.
- Top off drink with the orange juice. (The orange juice mixes with the Blue Curacao to give you that lovely bright green.)