Orchestra Hall in downtown Minneapolis is a familiar place for pianist George Winston: He has performed there more than two dozen times, with solo holiday shows onstage as recently as 2015 and 2016.
His shows are not just about his performances, however. With each show since 1986 Mr. Winston has been raising money for local food banks and service organizations through connections with local food banks on his tour, holding a canned food drive at each concert he performs. He will also donate 100 percent of all proceeds raised from the sale of his merchandise to a local organization.
His next show will be December 22nd, where he will be put on on his “Winter Show” featuring many of his most beloved season-inspired songs, like Vince Guaraldi’s Peanuts themes, music inspired by the New Orleans piano and stride piano traditions, and songs from his most recent and upcoming original recordings.
The concert will take place at Orchestra Hall in downtown Minneapolis on Friday, December 22nd at 8pm. Ticket prices will range from $30 to $60. More information is available at minnesotaorchestra.org and by phone at 612-371-5656.
George Winston Fun Facts:
- An eclectic artist, Winston cites Fats Waller, The Doors, Professor Longhair, John Coltrane and Vince Guaraldi as influences.
- He has also recorded soundtracks for audio children’s books narrated by Meryl Streep, Danny Glover and Lily Tomlin.
- An aficionado of the Hawaiian Slack Key guitar, Winston is recording a series of albums featuring this unique finger style guitar tradition.
- His concerts are a popular event for Orchestra Hall audiences during the holiday season, and always include a collection for a local food bank—a longtime cause of Winston’s.
- Minnesota Public Radio praises him as “a true original with an inimitable style.”
TICKET PURCHASING INFORMATION
Individual tickets and subscription packages can be purchased online at minnesotaorchestra.org, or by calling 612-371-5656 (612-371-5642 for subscriptions) or 800-292-4141. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Orchestra Hall Box Office, 1111 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis (Stage Door ticketing is open Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Lobby Box Office ticketing begins two hours before all ticketed performances); and at the skyway accessible Minnesota Orchestra Administrative Office, International Centre, 5th floor, 920 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis (open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.). For more information, call 612-371-5656, or visit minnesotaorchestra.org. For subscriptions, call 612-371-5642 or visit minnesotaorchestra.org/subscribe. For groups of 10 or more, call 612-371-5662.